Advanced Backlight is a statusbar applet that replaces Nokia's built-in backlight and volume applets. The goal is to provide the user with access to the full 128 levels of backlight, as opposed to the 5 levels that Nokia provides, and to reduce statusbar clutter by combining the volume and brightness applets into a single applet.
The applet provides 128 levels of backlight for the N810 and 127 levels for the N800 by default, but this the backlight-off setting can be turned on or off for both devices. The icon is made up of 7 levels of backlight and 6 levels of volume (mute and 0-4) for a total of 42 icons.
Advanced Backlight is now in the Extras repository!
Easy way: .install
Get the .deb: advanced-backlight_0.15-0_armel.deb
See the Garage page: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/adv-backlight/
Advanced Backlight 0.15 (4/18/2008)
- Official Mer compatability release.
- Applied Stskeeps' patch to remove DSME dependency.
Advanced Backlight 0.14 (7/18/2008)
- Now (again) supports 770 with fanoush kernel for backlight updates (built for OS2008HE, use chinook deb).
- Changed icon format to better show muted volume level.
Advanced Backlight 0.13 (7/16/2008, -devel only)
- Initial volume should be correct now.
- Added GConf notification on volume change.
- I18n support.
- Added translations for: de es fi fr nl pl ru se. Thanks to all translators!
- New approach for beep on volume change (daperl).
- Fixed mute at zero volume bug.
- Updated appearance of default iconset.
Advanced Backlight 0.12 (7/14/2008, -devel only)
- Switching directly to maximum brightness will now work correctly.
- Muted icon will display correctly when mute is set with volume 0.
- Now using threaded volume/brightness updates, patch by daperl.
- Using delayed brightness updates also improves smoothness.
- Added a new iconset, "Hildon". Thanks, loki!
- Add support for OS2008HE.[Done in 0.14]
- Fix crash when changing volume after first load[Done in 0.12]
- Add support for the N810's light meter. [Half-done]
- Consider adding "Settings..." links similar to the original volume/brightness applets.
I'd like to thank all of #maemo for testing/suggestions, and especially GeneralAntilles for contributing custom icons and tons of motivation! :)
If anyone has any more suggestions, I'd be happy to consider them and possibly add a few more things to my TODO list.